At Shiremoor Primary School, we have designed our curriculum with the intent that children must have the building blocks to become successful adults in terms of being able to gain employment, live healthy lifestyles, be moral citizens and to take opportunities to extend their horizons.
These themes are central to our vision: Aspire, Challenge and Respect.
In recognition of the context of the start points of many of our children, we have a strong focus on the teaching and learning of maths and English as lack of skills in these areas can impact future career options. We encourage children to be self-motivated to improve subject knowledge in these areas by offering a range of awards in basic skills for children to work toward.
As we hope that our children will aspire to a range of careers and personal interests in the future, and to ensure that they gain knowledge and skills across all subjects, we designed our curriculum to cover not only the statutory aspects of the National Curriculum but to take account of our local mining heritage. The curriculum is covered in blocks across the school year with regular repetition of themes supplemented with whole school learning e.g. around specific artists or famous historical figures.
Our key aim is that when children leave us to move on to secondary school, they have:
- confidence in themselves and their attitudes to learning
- a firm grasp of basic skills
- recognise that there is life and opportunities beyond Shiremoor
- aspiration to they need to aim high and challenge themselves to achieve great things in the future whether that means a job or travel
- A strong sense of moral purpose and respect for others